Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla, Calidris minutilla)
Studio-Glass Bird Ornament: Adult
The Sandpiper is a favourite on the beach. He's a long-legged bird commonly found running around the mud-flats of the Bay of Fundy and along the sandy beaches of Maritime Canada. My sandpipers are loosely modelled on the Semi-Palmated and Least Sandpiper varieties. The neutral tones of the birds lend themselves to a wide range of colour palettes. Pair them with other shorebirds for a real coastal feel!
I created your Sandpiper entirely from glass - no paints, glazes or moulds. The shape was designed and hand-cut, then layers of coloured crushed glass built up on the clear shape before firing the bird is in a kiln over many hours. I initial each bird on his reverse side. The bird comes with his own detachable driftwood perch that has been sanded on the underside for stability. Simply slot the birds legs into the holes in the top side of the wood.
- Handcrafted in Nova Scotia from glass (no paints, glazes or molds)
- Glass bird ornament complete with a driftwood perch
- Artisan Studio-Glass made in Nova Scotia
- Most Birds ship in a few business days
- Size Approximately 3.5 " for adult, 2.5" for chick
- The bird you're purchasing is not the exact bird in the picture, but will look very similar. Please expect minor variations in tone and shade due to the handcrafted, unique and whimsical nature of the work.
- Because the birds are created using successive layering of glass, their detail is best seen from the front.